Sunday, April 21, 2013

What Is An Honest Game?

"An honest game," you ask? That's an easy answer, for me. Across the golfing world, it has created some stir.

We live in what I consider a resort town. A city by the sea. People travel here to be with friends, relax, enjoy the beach, have a meal together, etc., etc., etc. With it comes a way of playing golf that I am not fond of. To date I have not found one person playing what I call an honest game of golf. In fact I would suggest that here in Santa Barbara, we play super relaxed resort golf. But then it is a pretty "chilled" place. I like the town. I'm very glad to be here, but I miss the honest game of golf.(here's to you Gordon!)

I'm not suggesting that there are those here in SB that aren't honest, nor am I suggesting that there aren't golfers that like to play an honest game. I simply haven't found any to date.

The second issue I find interesting is that I've not met or played with anyone who is seriously seeking to play tour golf. That has been surprising. Let me suggest again that there may be some but, so far, I have not met them. And no one has suggested any one to me. Which is rare because generally when you are the new guy in town the regulars like to point out their stars, their up and coming tour players. Nothing!?

What is an honest game of golf? Simple. Hit the ball from the tee box until the ball drops in the hole and count all the strokes it took to get there - even penalty strokes. Simple, right. That's what the pros have to do...ya, but we're not pros. So goes the argument and...it takes more time.

If you go out to play a casual game of tennis, and you decide to not only volley, but play a game. Let's say you hit the ball into the net, are you going to say to your fellow competitor, "I'm sorry that point didn't count because I meant to hit it across the net." Or, let's say you're playing a friendly game of basketball and you miss a layup. Do you stop the game and say, "Oh, that shot counts because when I went up to the basket I slipped, but I intended to make it."

Really? You would be laughed off the court. The guy who gets to change the game because he missed the layup. So why in a casual game of golf, is not finishing three foot putts, taking a second shot for free, or not including penalty strokes considered, OK?

My answer is also simple. It's a crazy, infuriating game where men and women of sound mind and strong character are changed in an instant. You wouldn't know your closest friend on the golf course. We will make up the greatest excuses for our game going south that day. We plan ahead. We know at some point we will need to use that excuse. It can't be yesterday's excuse, unless you add a limp or wear a bandage for better effect. There's a secret book of excuses. Tennis players don't get one, basketball players definitely don't get one. But we neeeedddd ittttt!

I know I'm sounding a bit foolish here but I need to make my point clear. It's not about how long the game is going to take. It's golf, it's going to take time, its eighteen holes. It's about our ego. Well, my ego then. So, the next time I say, "Hey, that putts good right?" Just Say No!


2 comments:

karen said...

that is really good. like what you wrote a lot! - kt

PJ Lowrey said...

I have heard that the NCGA and its clubs are a rarity. Now, I believe it. We fight all the things you describe; but there are more than a few on the side of "golfers" and observing the rules. Sometimes I feel like the wind is taking my words and no one can hear me.. Bifurcation of the rules is a current topic. As you describe, it will make the game something else and those of us who wish to preserve the game will be in the minority.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...