Monday, May 6, 2013

Boring!

Good Monday morning to you. Today we have a house guest visiting from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Unfortunately, I leave tomorrow morning for two...hopefully three weeks. I begin my time in Birmingham then on to Georgia for a Sunbelt Senior Tour event. I hop a plane after to KC, where the BBQ is sweet and the frozen custard is good...not quite Ted Drews, but then you tend to be loyal to that which you first knew.

During the KC portion of the travels I head across state to Mexico, Mexico Country Club and friends that I will enjoy being with after so many years away. I'm going to play the course where I learned the game, if all goes well and then I head back to KC. After my time there I then take a few hour drive to Iowa for the Principle Charity Classic. Not the tournament itself but the qualifiers. That's the hopeful part -- to make it through the qualifiers and into the actual tournament for that extra week.

This is turning into a boring post. Laying out my schedule like I do my cloths being readied to pack. Two pairs golf shoes - check (2nd pair in case of rain soaked shoes). Extra dozen golf balls - check. Golf hats - check. Golf pants and shirts - check. Rain gear - check. Extra driver and wedges - check. Umbrella - check. Golf jacket - check. Golf sweater - check.

Tomorrow is a travel day. Flying across country in my Lear...(sound of tires screeching to a dead stop). Oh, that's in my dream world. The rest of us board those lovely commercial jobs with the extra 4-6 inches of leg room. Are you kidding me? I'd like to know whose ruler they're using. SBA to LAX to DFW to BMH. Leave at 9am pst, arriving 9:40pm est. Am I whinning? Travel is so glorious. Actually I have it pretty good because I've traveled so much with one airlines that they made me a life time member. You too can have this luxury. Simply fly economy for a couple million miles. But really I digress, the glitter of travel wears off rather quickly, but the joy of seeing friends and playing in tournaments is worth the hundreds of unknown people crowding into little spaces and eating bad airport food. It's definitely much better than a covered Wagon or my rustoleum brown 1965 Ford Econoline I drove in music school days.

The reality of it is that I've been traveling since 1985. Packing for two weeks or a month takes me 20 minutes at the outset. I am a fortunate man that has traveled to some beautiful places on the earth and along the way gets to play golf, speak, see friends and meet new ones. This trip I will see dozens of friends and associates. Those I visit regularly and those I haven't seen for many years (thank you FB). So, here's to seeing you soon. I'd better get to the course for that last bit of practice before packing my clubs.

Hit'em hard and look up!
Byron

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...