Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Out of the Woods?

I'm in the Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport, it's 5:40AM, yes it's a stupid O'clock flight on my way to Kansas City. Yesterday I finished the Bridgemill tournament north of Atlanta with the Sunbelt Senior Tour. I went with one singular thought in mind. Would my professional golf career continue as is or would it begin to move toward a change?

This month is the beginning of my fifth year in playing tournaments full time. In 2007 I spent the year working out, practicing and I played three events. One of these events was in Minnesota where I injured myself and spent the next four months on the injured list.

2008, was my transitional year. I played more tournaments and was traveling with our non profit more than I expected, but the work was going strong so it was a good year.  The next year, 2009, began my first full season of tournament play. I played 16 events that year, which is a big step up.

ENOUGH HISTORY BYRON!!! Yes, I agree. Let's move on to something that could possibly be more interesting. The tournament at Bridgemill Athletic Club.

I have mentioned before that for the past 8, now 10, months have been a fight, struggle, frustration, mind numbing, tongue biting season of great ball striking and poor scoring. "How does that happen, Byron," you ask with that quizzical look.

About four months into this season I called a friend who has been playing tournaments for many years. A professional with a tour win. I presented my 'situation' to him in hopes of receiving some sage advice that would pull me from the pit of despair and onto the clouds of glory. Nope! Nothing. Well, he did give me something, "Byron, everyone goes through it. Keep pushing ahead and don't give up."

Really! That's it. That's your stinking sage advice? I want out of this mess. Now six months after hanging up the phone with the wise counselor I was ready to call it quits. I came to Georgia with a decision having to be made. Will I continue in this present state or move on? Moving on sounded really good. I was tired. I have had two injuries since 2008 that set me back, I've had endless leg and back pain that I would gladly live without and almost any golfer understands and now this extended slump.

84. Yes that was my first days score at Bridgemill Athletic Club. Driving back to my hotel that afternoon I figured I had received my answer and that pursuing a professional golf career was over. At least pursuing a more prestigious tour. I was going to give in and realize that maybe I'm not cut out for the 'Big Game.'

The evening meal came and went, I was lamenting and sulking about like a wounded puppy. I called Crystal --- poor woman having to put up with that attitude. Thanks Babes. The night passed uneventful, which is good in hotel living, and off to the course I drove at 6;30AM. I had a little conversation with myself and God. Not a test or an ultimatum but a question. Is there something I can do today that will actually help me score and get out of this horrible slump?

I decided that this day was going to be different. It couldn't hurt, right? I couldn't score much worse and as I've been scoring poorly I figured this may be my last good competitive round for a while.  So, what should I do. Definitely something completely different. What could that be...think...think... What would be a completely different approach to may game.

I walked up to the first tee and decided for every shot I would pick a target to hit to. Then my goal was to hit my ball to that target, to the best of my abilities. Forget my swing thoughts, forget who I was playing with, forget the need to win or loose. Choose a target - hit the target.

Let's finish this blog. I scored great. Not my best but so much better and...
1. after completing my round the head of the tour approached me, having watched my tee shot on #1 says to me, "That was the smoothest swing." I had no thought but my target.
2. The Wise Counselor, who was present, ask me what changed. Upon telling him my approach he says, "Oh, that's what the pros do." REALLY...you couldn't have told me that six months ago?
3. One time doesn't make a breakthrough, so Crystal and I decided that instead of coming home I should travel on to Iowa next week for the Principal Charity Classic qualifiers and give this new found approach a second chance.

I'm not sure that two times makes a good trial run but if this pulls me out of the slump and moves me on up, then wonderful. It's a start. One time felt like a breakthrough. It was wonderful to feel comfortable out there again and see my score head downwards (this is a good thing for you non golfers).

I'm on my way to Kansas City for the next 6 days where I will have ample opportunity to practice and put this new found approach into play.

Thanks for sending your kind words of encouragement and prayers during this season. They have been such a great blessing to me. I'm not out of the woods yet but it's very feasible that I've at least found a marked path that can lead me out.

Hit'em hard and look up,
Byron

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...