Sunday, January 6, 2013

Creative New Year To You

I was recently talking with a new acquaintance from Glen Annie Golf Course, where I'm practicing these days, and in the conversation he asked if I had ever considered walking off putts for distance. There are two important factors in putting. The first is distance. The second is direction. The first is most overlooked by players, concentrating more on direction, yet never being comfortable with how hard you must strike the ball in order to produce the correct distance. Which of course is a golfers folly. If you don't satisfy the first, the second becomes almost impossible to focus on. Thereby creating a lack of confidence and generally a poor shot.

It's incredible how I can miss some of the simplest concepts even when I'm out there day after day practicing and preparing for tournaments. I'd love to say I'm a genius but then to many of you know me personally.

In response I said I had but that it was never a comfortable pursuit because I didn't have a way to judge my putting stroke once I knew the distance. How hard was I suppose to hit the ball once I knew the distance? Which just put me off that whole idea rather quickly. "I'm a feel player when it comes to putting," I said. "How's that working for you," he responded? I don't think he was trying to be sarcastic? One will never know for sure.

He then told me a story of how he had met a very famous older golfer (no names will be mentioned to protect the innocent) who gave him the secret to distance and putting. Wow, great! Is it a top secret, that once you tell me you have to take my clubs away until I sign a no compete cause? TELL ME ALREADY!!

He did. It's interesting because someone in the past had mentioned the first part of this idea. Which is the part where you walk off the distance, in steps, from the ball to the hole. I had that part. This is why I left this idea in the cup never to remove it. I got the walking off part...what's next?

This I cannot tell you...yes I had to sign a no compete clause. NO I DIDN'T. But to try and explain this in writing is almost inconceivable. So, I must find a way to encourage you discovering this tried and true way to the correct length of putting stroke. Hummm....

How about a series of questions? That could work. Or...I could do a picture slide slow...no, that would take way to long and I have a plane to catch soon. Hummm....how about a video clip? I would be glad to do this if only I had someone to take the video. Any one interested?

What would you prefer? Maybe you don't care? Maybe you already know? Maybe I'm the only one....that's possible you know. Hummm...I think this could be a very silly new year.

In the mean time, hit'em hard and look up
B

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...