Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Ah, That Feels Better

How powerful is positive thinking? How much does it help in creating champions? This is not a report with figures to back my facts but I have personal experience and learned knowledge. Upon completing the Principal Charity Classic pre-qualifier in Iowa (which btw a great job to Bob Niger for making it through both qualifiers into the tournament), I had a long drive back to Kansas City where my plane awaited me. No not personal jet but as I've mentioned, I'm glad to use anyone's extra NetJet hours. The drive was a simple straight line from DesMoines to Kansas City so I had ample opportunity to think back through the round. Interesting that my thoughts lead me down a different path.

Tiger! Yes, the most prolific golfer still playing tournament level golf today. During his slump when he actually missed a couple cuts and only played average golf for him I began listening, recording and playing back his after round comments. Known to have one of the toughest, strongest and most disciplined mental games I figured that during his slump he would be lamenting his scores or his new swing.

Let me make it perfectly clear. I DON'T KNOW TIGER PERSONALLY! Therefore this has nothing to do with his personal life. If you want to know more about that, ask him. As I said, I don't know him. We have that clear now, okay. This is not a "Let's slam Tigers personal moral life." I care about his personal moral life but I don't know anything about it. That means I have nothing to say. Ahhhh...that feels better.

Where was I...Tigers slump. During his slump and after his rounds he was often interviewed. Never once did I hear him lament, whine, down grade or make negative comments about his play. NEVER. That is amazing. He always found a positive take on some aspect of his game to comment on. The commentators were pushing him to speak the TRUTH. They pushed him to talk about missing the cut or how he missed a shot. Nope, Tiger remained focused on the positive. It might have been as simple as how he released the club that day, or a shot that he made. But always positive.

Back to me now.

If you read my Facebook comments about my discovery in Atlanta, I believed I had found THE issue. The breakthrough moment in my golf career that would send me spiraling to the top of the leader boards. One week later, in Iowa, I had the opportunity to apply this breakthrough method for a second time, with little positive results. It was a band-aid. I believed it to be the all consuming answer to any problem I was to face on the course, but my struggles continued. And there in lies the difference between an aspiring professional golfer and an accomplished champion. Attitude. Negative verses positive. I have been talking about my slump for these past months and Tiger focused on a positive aspect of his game.

On my return trip to Kansas City I was relieved to discover that I had a horrible mental approach to the game. I was stepping onto the first tee with a negative look at the day. My first thoughts were about getting off the tee, and if I would place the ball where I needed to. I was thinking how my game was and would I score low. I have been standing over putts wishing them in, not believing I have the skill and ability to put them in.

Why was I relieved to discover this? I was happy, even elated. I found myself doing a little car dance, which I'm sure the lady passing me in the Lexus 350 was a little amused. Why? Because negative attitudes can be changed. Positive attitude in life is a discipline. It's not something you just walk out and own. It is a place that must be nourished daily. Much like a muscle, with out exercise it atrophies. This makes me happy. I can change my attitude. I can look forward to thinking positive on the course. So, I have been. I have been practicing the Art of Brilliant Thinking. The act of turning a negative thought into a positive thought.

How important is positive thinking? Tiger has already won four times this year. He didn't get there by focusing on the negatives during his slump. Champions, in every walk of life focus on the can do's. They turn the 'unable to' into the 'most definitely.' If you see me on the course, I'm practicing the first steps of being a brilliant thinker.

Here's to excellent thinking,
Byron

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...