Saturday, June 22, 2013

I'm Going To Rant Now (you may not wish to read)

Golf is a game, played on a big field with sticks and a ball. Generally with friends or competitors, where the lowest score wins. It's silly. A silly game played by grown ups for the purpose of enjoying themselves.

I play for two main reasons, other than the fact that I love the game. I play for the exercise. I like walking and carrying my clubs. I get several miles in everyday. Except when I'm forced to ride and I tend to stay away from those days. I'd rather play golf alone than ride in a silly cart. For the joy of golf for me is to take a walk in this manicured park.

Maybe this is because I grew up near a golf course and spent many hours there. I found solace not only playing the game, but late in the evenings contemplating life on that course. My family played golf together and that was a great memory. My dad and mom spent hours out there on the course with me, just walking and playing.

I will ride on occasion, but it's never the same for me. It takes away that feeling of walking up the fairway and seeing the whole course as it was designed to be seen (reason #2). It's a picture, a landscape designed for our pleasure. So riding in a cart takes all that away. You don't see those views while jumping in and out of a cart.

Remember, I'm here to rant today. I don't really care about the argument that riding takes less time to play. Well, if that was true then how come there is this on-going discussion about players taking to much time? Kind of stabs a hole in the argument for riding, doesn't it?

I guess what I'm really saying, I hope you don't miss out on two things that have made this game enjoyable to me; the beauty of the course, and the exercise.

In the mean time, hit'em hard and look up!
Byron

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...